Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The healthy dinner challenge

These days I have been on a mission (at least a few times a week anyway) to cook things that are a little better for us. Don't get me wrong- I totally heart butter- but its nice to know that if I need to, I can pull something together relatively quickly that doesn't make my coronary arteries shudder with fear.
Tonight I sifted through this weeks farmers market haul to make a lighter meal. Grilled salmon with soy, ginger, chile glaze. Stir fry of Bok Choi, snap peas and leeks, and cheaters brown rice (from the frozen aisle of trader joe's- 3 minutes in the microwave and surprisingly good)
Recipe for the glaze:
~ 1 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
~ 2 tbs honey
~ 1 tbs sriracha (asian chili sauce)
~ 1 tbs ginger

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and reduce over medium high heat until it coats the back of a spoon. Adjust the glaze to taste. If its a little too hot- add a bit more honey. If you don't like spicy- you can leave out the chili sauce. This would also work with ribs or chicken.

I drizzled the fish with a little oil, threw on a hot grill and glazed after I flipped it. Cooking time was about 5 minutes but I had thin pieces of fish.

The veggies were sauteed with a drizzle of olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbs of ginger, a generous squirt of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. After they were done, I drizzled with a touch of sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.

YAY guilt free dinner. All in all this took about 25 minutes from start to finish. Take that Rachel Ray!

3 comments:

MacMommy said...

pretty impressive dear!
all of the plates have the perfect proportion of protein and veggies! (stuff i learned from top chef...go joey paulino)
keep on going with your bad self!

Unknown said...

hey, why don't you submit this entry to Blog or Bust event: http://clumsycook.com/2007/06/18/blog-or-bust-1/
:)

Deborah said...

Your plating is beautiful, what a lovely dinner! :)